Pages

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Day 3 - The not so healthy vegging

After working so hard yesterday, and then again last night, I decided to treat myself by vegging out and enjoying some good old fashioned tv. Well, computer actually, but that still counts, right?

BRB nap time

When I say good old fashioned, I mean old fashioned. I started out with a guilty pleasure - a sappy romance movie called Kate & Leopold. If you are not familiar with this movie, it is from 2001, but has all the cinematic feel of the movies made in the early 1990's. And, like most of them, it comes from a time when Meg Ryan was inexplicably a top choice leading lady. To be honest, I never understood the appeal of her. I guess maybe it was that she looked like an every day woman and gave us normal people hope that we could have the same almost fairy tale. But as someone who grew up on the golden age screen beauties, she always seemed lacking.

Sorry, but Meg Ryan can't hold a candle to this.

Cast alongside Meg Ryan, the movie features a slightly comedic turn by Liev Schreiber and a sweet young baby Hugh Jackman as Leopold, an English Duke from 1876 who has been inadvertently dragged through time to the modern day New York. Jackman plays his part with the dedication that he applies to every role ever, but fate makes it hard for me to take it seriously. Because, you see, there is a fourth lead character - Kate's brother - played by Brekin Meyer, whose character name happens to be Charlie. So as decorum would require, the proper young Duke refers to him as Charles, and I cannot help but to giggle every time because all I can see is Logan and a young Charles Xavier.

Charles...Charles...Stay out of my head Charles

As typically expected in a sappy romance, the awkward, out of place male lead falls for the unconventional not-quite-a-damsel-in-distress and hi-jinks ensue and presumably they live happily ever after. But they never show that part. Because rubbing that in when you live in a world of not-so-happily ever afters is just asinine. That's why Pocahontas II is my favorite Disney sequel ever - it shows the painful fallout of the breakup of Pocahontas and John Smith, and all the uncomfortable interactions that accompany it. Go Disney. But back to Kate & Leopold. Overall, it is a decent movie as far as romances go. The idea was more original that a lot that came out around that time and it was an entertaining watch. Now it can be "shelved" for another decade, until I get really bored again.

True romance

After finishing up Kate & Leopold, I dove into my trusty backlog of anime. I am not going to go into all that right now though, because my addiction to anime would take pages to explain, so that is better left for another time. But for those curious, the show in question was Black Butler. It's pretty messed up.

1 comment:

  1. Did you stop blogging or did you move somewhere? You're a good writer--you should keep it up. I have a blog at http://swampowl.blogspot.com but I'm not such a good writer. I do book reviews and gardening, and lately I've been doing recipe reviews.

    ReplyDelete